Thursday, January 5, 2012

Be careful what you wish for....

So I have decided to document the life and adventures of my new SAR puppy Buzz, if nothing more than a way for me to remember what REALLY happens should I ever have a thought of doing this again! :)

I have said it a million times....I wanted my 3rd SAR candidate puppy to have even more drive than the previous two.  Somehow memories of the hell I went through with Sula were muted to a dull pain in my brain.  I was determined to find a pup with even MORE drive than Sula - not sure that was possible :).  Somehow the knowledge I had gained over the last 15 years of doing K9 SAR had brought on significant paralysis as I spent the better part of a year researching breeds, breedings and litters...another Redbone?  a Lab?  a shelter dog?  oh wait...maybe a Golden?....oh the time it consumed.   I had to laugh as I recalled that my first SAR dog Chief was selected almost on accident, based on the sole quality of 'cuteness'.  He was the runt of a litter of 15 accidental pups, Mom was Redbone Coonhoud, Dad was Black Lab.  I just happened to come across the litter being sold at a locally owned pet store and fell in love with the scrawny little boy, so clearly the runt among the other robust puppies.  I decided to purchase him on the spot, no evaluation other than thinking he was simply adorable.  That is how my involvement in K9 SAR began...accidentally.  Chief certainly had his issues, thanks in large part to my mistakes along the way, but in the end he was an amazing cadaver dog and had an outstanding career before he finally passed over the Rainbow Bridge at 13.5 years old.  I spent a bit more time researching my next SAR dog but knew I wanted a Redbone Coonhound and quickly found a reputable breeder and picked a female pup from his next litter and named her Sula.  Those first 6 months with Sula were utter hell, I actually called the breeder several times near tears asking if he could re-home Sula with a hunting home.  I knew she had to work and would never survive as just a 'pet'.  He talked me off the ledge and thankfully we both made it through those tough times.  I have come to learn how to work WITH Sula and not against her and as a result, Sula has become an AMAZING SAR dog certified for land/water cadaver and trailing.  I could not be happier with her and am so grateful I did not give up on her...and me.

But now I have added my third SAR pup to the household - a male Golden Retriever named "Tanbark's To Infinity and Beyond", call name "Buzz".  I evaluated the litter and saw the tell-tale signs of high-drive puppy terror, but of course that is what I gravitated to.  I reminded myself that those qualities would pay off in the end, making him a great SAR dog - IF I did not screw him up along the way. :)  Besides, how could a Golden be any worse than a bull-headed, independent Redbone??  HA....I got fooled again!  Yes, he is simply adorable, but he is an adorable TERROR.  He is very quick to learn, which works great when I teach him the RIGHT thing...not so much when I screw up and teach him the WRONG thing.  Being a Retriever he is obsessed with having stuff in his mouth, quickly destroying anything that comes in contact with those razor teeth...including skin, toes, pant legs, and various other assorted items that had the ill-fate of being within his reach.

I keep reminding myself "it will all be worth it" and I will admit that my patience for his terror-ness is a bit improved, thanks in large part to Sula.  I find myself laughing a bit instead of broken down in tears as he ramps up his vocal protests to being crated or contained in the x-pen...not much can come close to the vocal protests that the coonhound waged against me. :)   I remain hopeful, recognizing that we have a loonngg way to go and lots can go wrong, but am determined to enjoy the journey and work for the best outcome.   So far so good...in the end I could not be happier with Buzz and the potential for his future!

1 comment: