Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ode to K9 "Chief"

As I work on this blog for the newest member of my family "Buzz" I keep coming back to how this all started - "Chief".  I got Chief as a puppy, the runt of 13 Redbone Coonhound/Lab puppies and picked him simply because he was CUTE!  I had not clue about K9 Search and Rescue and really thought he would just be an awesome companion....which of course he was.  But soon I realized that this little boy needed a job, he was just a terror to live with!  In a twist of fate, at the same time I attended a meeting of the Missoula County Search and Rescue group, hoping to volunteer with them.  I was an outdoor nut - hiking, backpacking, skiing, biking, etc... so it seemed a great way to volunteer and be involved in the outdoors.  Thankfully I met a woman in the group who was doing K9 SAR and was invited to train with them.  So the journey and life-long passion began....so simple and so innocent at the time! :)  Chief trained for area search, avalanche, and cadaver and just seemed to excel in all he did, despite all the mistakes I made along the way.  He was the best first SAR dog a girl could ask for...so forgiving of me and always willing to try something new.  We never did certify in area search but avalanche and cadaver seemed to be what we were destined to do.  


Chief worked tirelessly to his retirement at 12 years old, and left this earth at almost 14 years old.  He helped many families along the way and taught me more than I will ever truly appreciate or understand.  I have so many amazing people in my life as a result of the journey with Chief.  After his passing I was so humbled by the notes of compassion and condolences, some from people I had never met but had heard of Chief's work helping a family member or friend in years past.  He set the bar very high for K9 Sula and now K9 Buzz, but Sula has met the challenge and gone far beyond, and I have the same hopes for Buzz.  Chief will always be with me in my heart and soul, I miss him today as much as the day I said good-bye.  But I feel his presence and know that both Sula and Buzz are benefiting from all that I learned from Chief.  Miss you Scooby-Boy!








No comments:

Post a Comment